Monday, July 22, 2013

Stache or no stache? The people have spoken. And the winner is ...


A week ago I asked readers to cast the most important vote of their lifetimes: Should I grow back the mustache I’ve worn since the Nixon administration that I had impulsively shaved off the day before? Or should my upper lip remain hair-free? 

Before (with ‘stache) and after (no ‘stache) photos were posted to guide your decisions.

One hundred and twenty eight votes were received by a combination of Facebook responses, comments left at the bottom of the blog, and email.

There was some Chicago-style ballot box stuffing. Approximately 20 “no stache” votes came from one friend who is adamant I remain clean-shaven. If she feels that strongly about it, I’ll let her votes count.

Son Stuart posted a plea on his Facebook wall: “My dad is trying to abolish his mustache forever. It’s vital that it never goes away. Please vote 'keep mustache' at the bottom of his blog." A number of “anonymous” votes were left on the blog and I assume those came from his friends. I’ll let those votes stand, too.

Though I had asked for a simple up or down vote – ‘stache or no ‘stache – few voters could resist adding comments.

My mother voted that I keep the 'stache, saying she has grown used to it.

A former co-worker pointed out that, “With it (the ‘stache) you have the look of authority and decisiveness. Without it you're just another wimp.” (Thanks so much for that confidence-inducer.)

My cousin Jim, who also voted ‘stache, pointed out that, in the end, it really doesn’t matter because I look old either way.

Some didn’t vote one way or the other, but said I should do whatever my wife wants. She wants a new Jaguar so I’ll disregard that.

One reader pointed out something I’ve been hearing for years – that with the ‘stache I look just like Wayne Carini, host of a TV show called Chasing Classic Cars. That’s him at the top of this post. He looks more like me than I do.

I’m sure you must be beside yourself with suspense so I won’t make you wait any longer. The winner, by a vote of 70 to 58 (and that’s counting the 20 or so “no stache” votes from one person) is … grow the ‘stache back.

The people have spoken. 

My hairless upper lip has called my mustache to concede and wish it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment