Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Missourians celebrate new-found religious freedom


Here’s a shout out to the voters of my native state, Missouri, who by a margin of five to one yesterday approved an amendment to the state constitution that guarantees every Missourian freedom of religious expression.

Here’s hoping that, someday soon, residents of the Show-Me state will be able to enjoy not just one but all the basic rights those of us in the other 49 states have enjoyed for years, including the right to trial by jury, freedom from cruel and unusual punishment, and the right to bear arms. Why, I can even foresee a Missouri that someday -- probably not in my lifetime but in my children's -- will allow women to vote!

In the meantime, I look forward to exercising my freedom of religious expression next time I visit -- something I was never allowed to do in that state, which is why I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment