Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Delores Suarez de Fernandez's world-famous chicken tortilla soup


If I were in Florida, I could have asked Marie, my neighbor who is a professional chef and food stylist, to make this look nice-nice for my readers. But I'm not and, frankly, this photo, which I took myself, makes my tortilla soup look like something one of our dachshunds regurgitated. You'll have to take my word that it is idiot-proof and tastes great. 

Last night was so cold we turned on the heat. All day today the sky was gray with intermittent drizzle and gusty winds that slapped the leaves around, leaving them looking stunned, as if they know their summer gig is over. 

In short, perfect weather to make my world-famous chicken tortilla soup.

I love to cook. Problem is, I’m not very good at it. Most recipes I attempt turn out badly. There are only three dishes I don’t muck up -- beef stew, chili and the aforementioned tortilla soup.

I should tell you this recipe was revealed to me by Dolores Suarez de Fernandez, my beloved childhood nanny who, as she had always promised she would when her time came, asked me to come close and whispered it in my ear moments before she drew her last breath. 

But I can't. I stole it out of one my wife’s Southern Living cookbooks and, over the years, have made a few refinements. Anyway, this one is a keeper, perfect for the cold days to come. And it's idiot-proof. Even people who read tomdryden.com can make it.

                             Delores's World-Famous Chicken Tortilla Soup

4 chicken breasts, boiled and chopped. (Or, if you're lazy, cut up a rotisserie chicken)

1 large onion, chopped up

2 (14.5 oz) cans of chicken broth

2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes

1 can Rotel tomatoes (any variety)

1 (16 oz) jar of salsa (whatever’s on sale)

1 can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup

1 tablespoon chili power

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1 small zucchini, chopped

Fistful of chopped cilantro (optional, but a nice authentic touch)
  
Boil chicken broth and chopped onion in a large pot for five minutes. Stir in everything but the zucchini and cilantro, and bring to boil. Simmer 30 minutes.

Add chopped zucchini and cilantro, and simmer for 10 more minutes or until zucchini is tender.

Serve in bowls topped with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and Fritos. (The original recipe recommends you slice tortillas into strips and fry them up but why bother? Fritos are better.)

No comments:

Post a Comment