Monday, January 21, 2013

Mr. Clean's take on the Inauguration




There is a lot I want to say about the inaugural festivities, which I've been watching all day, but I’m sort of busy. We’re leaving for Vegas Wednesday for our son’s wedding. My niece and her husband are coming to stay with the dachshunds. They (my niece and her husband, not the dachshunds) are super-neat and clean, so I’ve been vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing, etc. all day, and I still have a bathroom and the living room to do before they arrive in the morning. Which means I don’t really have time to do justice to this post. But I’ll give it the old college try.

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, the master of ceremonies, couldn’t resist getting a dig in at Romney as he introduced the first musical act, “the Tabernacle Choir – the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir” (as opposed to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir which Romney would have likely invited). Schumer is an arrogant prick but I’m not holding that against the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir whose rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic made the hairs on my neck stand straight up. Once I scrub the guest room toilet I have to check iTunes to see if I can download it.

As a friend pointed out on Facebook, James Taylor, who sang America The Beautiful, looks old. His “Sweet Baby James” album was huge the fall of my sophomore year of college. My roommate  played it constantly. I got sick of it. Fire & Rain. Steamroller. Blossom. Yadda Yadda. Let’s see, that was … 42 and a half years ago. Yep, he’s old. 

There was, as there always is at an inauguration, a poet who read something he had composed for the occasion. I took the recycling out to the curb near what I assumed was the end of his poem, had a conversation with a neighbor, swept out the garage, and he was still prattling on about colorful fruit in a marketplace or something like that when I returned. I suggest that, in the future, the inaugural committee dispense with the epic poem and sell $5 million commercials like the networks do during the Super Bowl and kick the money back to the Treasury.

The president’s youngest daughter kept looking down as her father was speaking. Maybe she was texting.

Obama's speech, which I listened to as I dusted, was eloquent. But tonight I can't remember anything he said. Something about "We the People." I'm not sure but I don't think his speechwriters came up with that term.

The Internet’s abuzz with a video of Michelle Obama rolling her eyes at John Boehner as they were seated next to each other at the post inaugural luncheon in the Capitol and he tried to engage her in conversation. I’m no Boehner fan but, having watched it, I think he was asking her to get her elbows off the table.

Gotta run to the store for some Fantastic. More later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment