Thursday, February 21, 2013

For the snowbound (with apologies to Robert Frost)



My readers in the Northeastern part of the country have been snowbound for two weeks. And now, my Midwestern readers are getting hammered by a blizzard that the Weather Channel says may move into New England this weekend. 

Snow always reminds me of Robert Frost’s immortal “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” which, knowing that many of you have nothing to do other than wait for the snowplow, I’ve updated to the twenty-first century for your reading pleasure.

Stay warm and be assured I'll be thinking of you as I take my daily bike ride through sunny Florida. The weatherman said today's high is going to be 84, so I'd better take off now, before it gets too hot.

Think I’ll head to Barefoot Beach. Maybe Bonita Beach. 


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I once did know   
But now they’re owned by Wells Fargo.
No-one will see me stopping here
While I create some yellow snow.

I shouldn’t have drunk all that beer.
I cannot see, things are unclear.
Between the woods and frozen lake   
This snowmobile I’ll try to steer.

Tomorrow morn when I awake
My sinuses will surely ache.
Damn, this hill is really steep
Where the hell is the hand brake?

These woods are lovely, dark and deep   
But I have stupid things to tweet
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Boy, I'll bet that one would really frost Mr. Frost.

    ReplyDelete