Friday, October 4, 2013

Attention deficit disord



My wife became extremely annoyed – as annoyed as she has been at any time during our marriage – as we were packing up to move from Connecticut to Florida, accusing me of starting one task then going on to another before I finished the first. She is telling friends she has decided I have Attention Deficit Disorder. My niece, a psychologist, has been claiming for years that everyone in our extended family has it. I couldn’t disagree with them more. The deficit is the reason Congress is at such an impasse regarding the budget. Neither side will budge which rhymes with another word that reminds me of a question I’ve been pondering ever since a recent trip to Cape Cod: How come every vacation destination you visit has store after store selling fudge? Do people go on vacation and think to themselves,“I’m on vacation. I am going to eat a pound of fudge every day?” I certainly don’t. In fact, when I’m on holiday I’m consciously aware that I’m probably overeating so I go out of my way to cut out unnecessary calories and fat of which olives have an abundance. Last Tuesday, our final night in Connecticut, some friends hosted a good-bye dinner party. They invited two other couples and served a dish called Chicken Marbella made with (this is perfect since we were moving to Florida where everyone is old and obsessed with regularity) prunes and Spanish olives. I was a bit leery, frankly, but it was the absolute best chicken dish I’ve ever put in my mouth which reminds me I’m overdue for a dental appointment. Our Connecticut house had (and I assume still has since the new owners probably wanted to keep them because they are beautiful) dentil moldings in both the living and family rooms. That’s something you see in colonial houses but not in the Mediterranean-style houses here in Florida, where I need to get a driver’s license as soon as I finish unpacking the 165 boxes we moved of which exactly five contained my stuff – three of clothing and one each of tools and games (mostly Scrabble, I have four versions) – and the rest were my wife’s. She has more clothes than Macy’s whose stock (ticker symbol M)  has outperformed the overall market by a significant margin in the last two years speaking of which, one of the posters I’m selling on eBay (see picture above) – I have over 300 of them and have decided that in my dotage I want to get in the business of buying and selling vintage posters since I know a lot about them  – is missing both the left- and right-hand margins. A previous owner apparently trimmed them off in order to squeeze the poster into an existing frame. Take a look at the poster and you can see it has white margins at the top and bottom but not on the sides. It’s a shame – I could get a lot more for it if it hadn’t been doctored with. I just ended a sentence with a preposition which is a “no-no” plus I need to call the dentist so I'd best wind this up for now.

Have a nice weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment