Monday, January 27, 2014

Need a vacation? This one's for you.


I have been collecting vintage posters for 30 years. I always rationalized the money I spent as an investment and promised myself that, in my dotage, I’d sell them off to generate income but the fact of the matter is, for every one I sell, I seem to buy two more. I can't help myself. 

I'm particularly keen on posters printed during WWI and WWII urging citizens to enlist, conserve resources, buy bonds, and work hard to support the war effort.

My most recent acquisition is the poster shown above. It was issued in 1943 -- during the middle of WWII for my historically-challenged readers – by the Industrial Incentive Division of the US Navy and distributed to companies building ships. Companies were instructed to display it to discourage workers from asking for time off. The poster features two sailors and a Marine who -- well, you can read about them yourself, starting with the story of Chief Gunner’s Mate Albert Noland.






Though most WWII posters were produced by the thousands or even hundreds of thousands, only a handful of these were printed – there simply weren’t that many companies producing warships.

Powerful isn’t it?

If you would like to purchase this piece, I’ll be happy to sell it to you.

Someday.

Maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment