Friday, January 16, 2015

A personal apology to the people of France


Remember the outrage when, in 2003, the French government refused to endorse America’s invasion of Iraq? One on-the-ball member of Congress, Republican Bob Ney of Ohio (who later resigned and spent time in the slammer for corruption) even proposed that French fries, a staple of the American diet, should be renamed “Freedom Fries” in protest.

Well, after today, France has earned the right to put the "French" back into "Fries."

Last week's attack by Islamic terrorists on the Parisian satire magazine Charlie Hebdo resulted in the deaths of 10 staff members and two policemen. On Sunday a group of world leaders converged on Paris to show their solidarity and sympathy. But the US, instead of sending the president,VP or Secretary of State John Kerry, sent only its ambassador, which many French citizens considered a thumb of the nose. 

Today, Kerry came to Paris to make amends and demonstrate that the US stands firmly with the people of France against terrorism. What did he bring with him?  Guns? Tanks? Intelligence?  

No, he brought James Taylor to sing You’ve Got a Friend.

Sweet Baby James got up there on stage and sang his heart out:

When you’re down and troubled, and you need a helping hand.
And nothing, whoa, nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me,
And soon I will be there.
To brighten up even your darkest nights.

I've seen fries and I've seen rain but I never thought I'd see anything this stupid.

People of France, I know I'm speaking for millions -- tens of millions -- of my countrymen when I ask you to please accept my personal apology for the imbeciles representing my country who, apparently, have the judgement and mentality of junior high-aged girls.

Like this post? Share it with your friends by hitting one of the icons below.

No comments:

Post a Comment