Friday, September 30, 2016

An interview with Gary Johnson




As part of our ongoing series of interviews with presidential candidates, tomdryden.com today sat down with former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, who is running as a Libertarian.

TD: Governor, you’ve been savaged in the press lately for appearing to be somewhat out-of-it. You said you weren't familiar with Aleppo, the Syrian city where U.S.-backed forces are battling ISIS, and a few days ago when Chris Matthews asked you to name a foreign leader you admired, you couldn’t think of one. So let’s start off easy. Who do you admire most? Doesn’t have to be a world leader. It can be anyone.

GJ: Cheech and … oh, God, what is that guy's name? It's right on the tip of my tongue. You know, Cheech’s partner. I had all their albums in college. They made that movie, Up in Smoke. I must've seen it fifty times. Cheech and … Cheech and … damn, I can’t think of his name!

TD: Chong?

GJ: Yes, Cheech and Chong. I admire them.

TD: OK. Moving on, congratulations on being endorsed today by the Chicago Tribune.

GJ: Who did you say endorsed me?

TD: The Chicago Tribune.

GJ: What’s that?

TD: A newspaper.

GJ: No, the word before that.

TD: Chicago?

GJ: Yeah, that. What is it?

TD: A city in Illinois. The Tribune’s editorial board called you a "principled alternative to Trump and Clinton."

GJ: An alternative to what?

TD: Trump and Clinton.

GJ: Never heard of them.

TD: They’re running for … never mind. Have you ever stopped to consider that, if you win in November, you’ll become the third Johnson president?

GJ: I thought every president had a Johnson.

TD: You’d be the third president with the last name of Johnson.

GJ: Is that so? Who were the other two?

TD: Andrew and Lyndon.

GJ: Third, huh? Must be a common name or something.

TD: If you’re elected, what’s the first thing you’d do?

GJ: I’d issue an executive order legalizing marijuana. There’s nothing more important to America’s future.

TD: Thank you Governor and, I can’t believe I’m saying this but, having considered your opponents, you have my vote. 

GJ: Thanks, Tim!

TD: It's Tom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment