Saturday, March 14, 2020

Other than that pesky global pandemic, how has your week been?



Yeah, mine too.

I’ve been home all week with the dogs while my wife has been in Washington watching the grandkids. Our son and daughter-in-law flew to Ireland Monday night to attend a wedding that’s supposedly taking place as I write this (Saturday). Great timing.

They were scheduled to fly back to the U.S. Monday but their flight has been moved up a day. Judy was going to come home Tuesday, but I’m hoping that if they arrive tomorrow and don’t have to be quarantined she’ll be able to catch an earlier flight. I looked online and JetBlue’s three nonstops from DC to Fort Myers appear to be basically empty. She'd pretty much have the plane to herself.
I’m on the board of our 3350-door homeowner association. We’ve canceled all upcoming events for the foreseeable future and hope to stream our annual HOA meeting, scheduled for March 26.  By law, we must hold it no later than March 31. Representatives of our 49 neighborhoods are supposed to attend. Last thing anyone wants at this point is to gather in a room with a group of older people who travel constantly. Neighbors left earlier this week for Argentina where they were to board a luxury cruise ship. They're back. The cruise line cancelled all its cruises.  

This morning, I went to Publix to buy necessities we will need to survive the coming weeks including chocolate chip cookie dough, Bob Evans Farms Mac & Cheese, and L'il Cesar Filet Mignon dog treats. It was bedlam. I had to wait for a shopping cart, they were all in use. My fellow shoppers looked purposeful but displayed no outward panic. There were no fights over TP or hand sanitizer or bleach or alcohol or peroxide — there wasn’t any to be had. 

I had to laugh when the PA system started playing Paula Cole's "I Don't Want to Wait … For My Life to be Over."  

I’m not keen on waiting for my life to be over because of some stupid virus, but I can at least take comfort in the gigantic bag of Chili Cheese Fritos I added to my cart at the last minute, which I intend to consume this afternoon as I watch Netflix.

The way I see it, there's no need for anyone to worry about calories, fat or salt any more, so I might as well eat them all while I can.

Stay well. And stay away from me please,


No comments:

Post a Comment