Friday, May 18, 2012

Hey kids, shave a moose of leather


We are having a swell time in Las Vegas. We're eating in fine restaurants. Playing lots of blackjack. And being entertained nonstop.

Two nights ago we saw "Viva Elvis" at the Aria. Last night it was a tribute to the Bee Gees at the Excalibur. Tonight we saw Elton John and His Million Dollar Piano at Caesar's Palace.

Elton has sold more than a quarter billion records over his 45 year career. Billboard ranks him as the #1 solo male rock performer of all times. He is, hands down, the most gifted rock pianist ever. He's a humanitarian, who has raised tens of millions for AIDS and other causes. He's a Commander of the Order of the British Empire. And at 65, he hasn't lost even a shimmer of star quality. He's the consummate showman, as energetic and talented as ever.

I just wish I could understand what the hell he's singing half the time, because
he mumbles.

I have no trouble when he sings slow songs like Tiny Dancer, Candle in the Wind and Circle of Life.

But when it comes to frantic-paced songs like Philadelphia Freedom, Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting and The Bitch Is Back, he might as well be singing in Bulgarian for all I can understand. I've always thought that Bernie Taupin, his lyricist, must have the most frustrating job in the world.

That said, even I was on my feet along the rest of the crowd, singing along as Elton performed his immortal Bennie and the Jets.

Hey kids, shave a moose of leather
Da spouse is missin' someone
Iguana's name is Heather
Wiggle your fat ass calves tonight.
So stick around,
You're gonna hear
Electron Rick music.
Salad bowls are round.

OK, I know those aren't the precise lyrics Taupin wrote but they're the ones I've been signing for 35 years and they make no less sense than Elton's. Check out the official
lyrics below.

http://www.eltonography.com/songs/bennie_and_the_jets.html

On second look, mine actually make more sense.

B-b-b-bye for now.












2 comments:

  1. OMG, this is HYSTERICAL! Now every time I hear that song, I'm going to sing "salad bowls are round". Thanks a lot, pal ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! (That's how I've been singing it for 35 years.)

      Delete