Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I've been robbed. Again.


Greetings from Las Vegas. Arrived last night and, I'm sorry to report, I've been robbed.

Somewhere between my house and here, someone etherized me and stole my cell phone. A brand new iPhone 4S. I bought it Saturday to replace the one that was stolen last week.

It was in my pants pocket. I'm 100 percent sure of that because I carefully placed it there so I'd be able to use it to tell the time. I no longer have a watch because someone broke into our house one night last week and stole it. I spent hours looking for it, but it's gone. It has probably been pawned by now. Our idiot dachshunds slept right through the burglary. Some watchdogs they are.

My wife and I were never out of each others' sight yesterday, except for a few minutes when I got up to use the bathroom on the second leg of our flight. It must have happened then. You'd think some other passenger would have noticed a guy with a bottle of ether and a cloth following me into the bathroom but I guess not. I don't remember a thing but then, I was etherized, so that's not surprising.

When I unpacked my bag, I was further discouraged to discover that a baggage handler had stolen one of my sandals. Not both. Just one. Weird. The lock doesn't appear to have been tampered with. I can't imagine what he's going to do with one sandal. Perhaps he just has one leg but that doesn't make sense because a one-legged baggage handler would have trouble keeping his balance.

When we were first married, my wife accused me of being an airhead who loses things but, years ago, she accepted the irrefutable fact that she married a guy robbers like to prey on. Nobody has ever stolen anything from her. Just from me and our sons, both of whom inherited my bad luck. These poor kids have been victimized so often it's a wonder they have any faith in mankind whatsoever.

Christmas Eve, our number one son was driving from D.C. to our Connecticut house. I was worried. The weather was crummy -- a mixture of rain and sleet -- and he left late. Around midnight he called from a rest stop at the southern end of the New Jersey Turnpike where he had stopped for coffee and to gas up. He reported someone at Starbucks had pick pocketed him, leaving him with exactly eighty two cents to fill up an empty fuel tank and pay the tolls he would need to exit the turnpike and cross the GW Bridge.

He said his first thought was that he had lost it but, after looking everywhere, he was sure he had been robbed. He said a fellow traveler who overheard him asking the Starbucks manager if he had found a wallet had given him $5 -- enough to buy the gas needed to get to the Vince Lombardi rest stop in northern New Jersey. I told him I'd meet him there, jumped in my car and, an hour and a half later, we met up. I gave him cash to fill up his car and pay the tolls.

The next morning my wife looked in his car and there, between the driver's seat and the gas pedal, was his wallet. The thief had obviously followed us back to Connecticut and, feeling guilty for robbing my son at Christmastime, replaced the wallet and all its contents.

It's good to know there is at least one kind robber out there but I have no illusions the bastards who stole my iPhone, watch or sandal will bring them back.

On the other hand, they might. They often do.

2 comments:

  1. That's quite a series of unfortunate events. In times like those, it’s best for you to be vigilant and careful with your valuables, so that no one will have the audacity to steal them. Even though robbers and burglars can be quite daring, they are often turned off by the prospect of even a moderately-secured place or a vigilant person.

    Kerry Lewis @ Westminster Security

    ReplyDelete